We intentionally seek out diverse students in general, which includes LGBTQ+ students. To this end, we have developed several campaigns (i.e., email, social media, on-campus) that target diverse populations. We run LSAC database reports that return students who identify as diverse and send them specific messaging about our diverse programming and student body, inclusivity, and student and support organizations that they can join upon enrollment.
Our welcome materials include information about support for LGBTQ+ and other diverse students.
We currently have one upper division scholarship that is designated specifically to be awarded to an LGBTQ+ scholar. We also have a number (approximately 15) of 2L diversity scholarships that can be awarded to LGBTQ+ scholars, based on an application process and CGPA.
All of our students have access to travel support that is administered through the Student Bar Association. We don’t keep track, year by year, of what the topics or demographics of the student designees.
All positions are posted externally using both local and national job boards. We use formal search committees made up of a diverse representation of campus constituents.
We comply with all applicable California State law with regard to our plan design.
We do not offer any health insurance or benefits to any of our students. Students come with their parent’s plans, Covered California, or any number of other benefit plans offered in the state
We comply with all applicable California State law. Health plan decisions are based on medical necessity as determined by the healthcare provider, not the school.
We do not offer any health insurance or benefits to any of our students. Students come with their parent’s plans, Covered California, or any number of other benefit plans offered in the state.
CWSL provides gender-inclusive restrooms in two of its three buildings. The signage indicates that the restrooms are “ALL GENDER” and include symbols representing a man and woman.
CWSL does not have any LGBTQ+ classes or course offerings taught with a trans-inclusive and focused materials. There is a class called “Gender and the Law,” that has different foci each year, depending upon the knowledge-base of the faculty member teaching it.
CWSL expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender, sexual orientation and any other basis prohibited by law. In addition, harassment that is based on gender, gender identity, sex-or gender stereotyping, or sexual orientation is prohibited by CWSL’s non-discrimination policy if such conduct denies or limits a person’s ability to participate in or benefit from education programs, employment or services.
- CWSL has a designated Associate Director of Diversity and Inclusion:
- Attended the LSAC Equality Conference;
- Discusses the multi-dimensional nature of diversity within the CWSL community during a mandatory Orientation session;
- Offers one-on-one law school coaching sessions for all diverse students;
- Administers a peer-to-peer mentoring program in which diverse mentees can identity a characteristic of a mentor with whom the mentee would like to be paired;
- Promotes scholarships to and for LGBTQ+ students;
- CWSL enforces an amelioration policy in response to on-campus military recruitment while the military discriminates against transgender men and women;
- PRIDE Law is a CWSL student group focused on the needs of the LGBTQ+ student population. This year, PRIDE Law and CWSL Student and Diversity Services partnered to create a program on Trans Remembrance Day. Annually, PRIDE Law participates in San Diego Pride Week. Additionally, PRIDE Law is very active with the Tom Homann LGBT Law Association (“THLA”). THLA Is a local bar association dedicated to the advancement of gay, bisexual and transgender rights.
- Finally, CWSL has a rainbow flag that it flies with the American and California state flag on certain significant days: In remembrance of the shooting at the Pulse Nightclub in Florida; when Marriage Equality was made the law of the land by the Supreme Court, etc. It is intended to symbolically demonstrate CWSL’s solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community.